Thursday 15 March 2018

Cosplaying Princess Estelia from Rayman Legends

Princesses Estelia and Selena at A Vikings Thing
Photograph taken by: Just More Images
Unfortunately, my nephew is gamer like me; I say unfortunately, because he encroaches on my very special weekend gaming time. It's enough I have to miss out because I actually have to work to fund my gaming addiction, but arguing with an 8 year old before I can play on my own computer is a stress I don't need in my life. So I devised a strategy to keep him at his own home and occupied, every birthday and Christmas I buy him a PS3 game. 
Rayman Legends is one of these games and, while I was watching my niece and him play through it, the princesses themselves peaked my interest. 
It wasn't until Rage 2017 was over that my interest melted with my tendency to obsess over my next cosplay project.
So when Alter Egos announced their A Vikings Thing event for the 3rd March 2018 on their facebook page, we thought that the Princesses from Fiesta de los Muertos would a perfect fit; not counting their Day-of-the-Dead-like makeup. But hey, I don't think anyone reading this wants be mired creatively in mainstream rules, and especially don't want those rules imposing on their very unique hobby. And who knows, should a Day of the Dead event ever come up it would be a good one to recycle as well.
So, it will come as a surprise, or maybe it won't if you knew us, that even though we knew what we were going to cosplay over three months before the event would take place; we only started compiling the pieces of this costume a month before.
Which can seen as a good and bad thing; good, in that you can complete this costume within a month and bad, because as much as this costume may look simple enough to make, it really is not. So unless you want start pulling your hair out due the frustration and stress of attempting to combat and conquer the more complicated aspects of the costume, I would suggest starting a bit earlier with your project. Although, if my tutorials do what they're designed to do, you go through significantly less stress than I did.
Another upside to this cosplay is that breathes wonderfully and not once did I almost die of the heat during the day. The only thing that is likely to cause discomfort in that department is the overly long wig.
I also decided during my two month long 'planning' (or procrastinating, if you want to be technical) of this costume is that it would probably be the best time to invest in a proper sewing machine, which I'll include in my budget breakdown. I sewed my arm guards, wrist guards, leg guards and apron myself. Had to revive some long dead, barely there, Home Economics learning to do it too. And don't panic, I found a really cheap one that actually sews properly and is relatively portable, if you have a friend that needs something stitched up too.
One tip I would recommend, because I struggled with this at the events I previously cosplayed at, is to make your apron like a pouch, availing you with the space to store your makeup, tickets, money and cellphone.
Now, let us get down to the nitty-gritty.

The Budget Breakdown

Princess Estelia: Rayman Legends

The Angel Wings Helmet and Emoji Medallions

2x Feather Hand Fans - R 45 each:
Bought at the china mall at Hillfox in Florida.
Pirate Cap - R 45:
Bought at the china mall at Hillfox in Florida
Dala Metallic Craft Paint Gold - R 95
Bought at Art and More at Northgate Mall.
Craft Varnish - R 129.90
Bought at Mica at East Gate.
2x Packet of Gun Glue - R 19.90
Bought at Mica at East Gate.

The Outfit

Fabric - R 150.70:
This included 4 m worth red material, 3 m of red inner lining, 1/2 m of green material and 1 m of Orange material. Sold at a Fabric Link in Florida along Goldman Road.
Tailor - R 200 for the Boobtube dress:
She actually quite good, that dress held up without a struggle. and if you're as challenged as I am in the chest area, you will understand why I was a bit wary about wearing one without straps. She's located at small china mall/flea market at Hillfox in Florida. Word of warning: she and her co-workers are a chatty bunch so you will get an earful for your effort, and you will be required to pay a deposit beforehand.
Dala Craft Paint Pink - R 25:
Fabric paint would probably do better here, but I didn't want to buy something I might use as a once off. Bought at Art and More, a hobby shop at Northgate mall.
4x Packets of Hook and Loop Adhesives - R 19.90 each:
These wont hold on their own, unfortunately. Learned that the hard way. So you may want to sew them on or reinforce them with gun glue if its strong enough.
Bought at Mica at East Gate

Skeletal Mace

I saved on this one since I already had the materials I needed. I buy regularly from Takelaot, so whenever my buys don't meet the minimum for free delivery I had something crafty to tip it over. Making this mace cost me nothing this time. But you should probably make an allowance for Dala Craft Paint Tan, Blue, Yellow and Umber; or instead of yellow and blue, green and white if you don't already have those colours.
These paint can be bought at Arts and More in Northgate or Takealot. They're a lot cheaper on Takelaot but it might cost you more in the end with the delivery fee if you don't meet the minimum buy.

Other

Jeronimo, My First Sewing Machine - R 235
Yes, its a kiddies one, but it's definitely not a toy, so it will get the job done. And it's super cute. Bought from Takealot.
Pumps - R 0
I was actually gifted these sunset coloured ones by my sister for Christmas, but you will need to make a budget allowance for this for your outfit if you don't have orange/red ones already.
Wig - R 136
Bought during a sale from HSIU Cosplay on Aliexpress. You might want to order this at least three to four months in advance, they ship it from China within a week but South African Customs will delay this order for months due to their back log.

The costume cost me a total of R 1231 across a span of three months, R 31 more than my R 1200 cosplay budget.

Have a look out for my next blogs in the Princess Estelia Cosplay Series where I will give you step by step tutorials on how to create Princess Estelia's Angel Wing Viking Helmet and her Skeletal Mace.


1 comment:

Cosplaying Princess Bubblegum from Adventure Time

A Mage and Princess Bubblegum at the 2018 Fantasy Fayre - The Bestiary Photograph taken by Heinz Meier I must admit that I was slightl...